Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Undertow in "Things We'll Never Know"

I fall in to the unfortunate category of, obsession (it looks a lot like oppression (in spelling not in action)). I find a band or artist I like and suddenly the only thing I listen to, there music. My current illness (the proper way to refer to my obsessive behavior) the singer songwriter duo Hannah and Maggie. I know ever one knows them (seeping with sarcasm). I am guessing that most people in my class never stumbled upon the acoustic melodies of Hannah and Maggie, which I understand due to the fact that they still live in the world of unsigned and pretty unknown. The unknown unsigned artist to me seems the most pure and quickly arise as my favorite. One of there pure Hannah Maggie moment’s occurs in their song “Things We’ll Never Know”. I probably played the song a million times (major hyperbole to give the allusion of an artistic writer) and yet the words and melody still to me seem so new and so alive especially the stanzas

“Why don't we just fall asleep in the back of the jeep

with our shoes still on and the embers burning low

I can tell that you're reaching for me

but I don't want to be caught in the undertow

Maybe it's just me

we have come so far

afraid you'll disagree

to break another heart 

you've broken into me

let's find another 

start”

Hannah and Maggie create this indiscernible picture of love (now I am going to proceed to try and describe what I just called indescribable). With the use of the words jeep and shoes they create a tone of simplicity. This tone proves a symbol of the type of love or liking in witch they describe one in which people fall asleep “with our shoes still on”(2). The simple love though finds interrupted with the word “but”(4). The abrupt dialect along with the word starting a new line shows the halting of one type of love and transition into a different type of love. “I don’t want to be caught in the undertow” the use of the metaphor undertow, an aggressive powerful force, indirectly characterizes this other love as powerful and scary. Humans often times shrink away from powerful and scary forces. In a fallowing verse though Hannah and Maggie show the other side of human nature, the adventuress unable to resists side of humans. The kind that says I know I am scared your just here “to break another heart” but “you’ve broken into me let’s find another start”. Hannah and Maggie reveal the true confusion of love. Love dos not care about the pain that could occur. Love does not care how the person does not want to get caught up in the undertow. Love for someone or even liking them does not care the inhabitants that exits. To love the only thing that matters, that the feelings exist. I am not fooling anyone, none of us do. We as humans would do anything for love and just about anything for some one we like. We all experienced that point in a relationship where slowly the undertow takes over, and all of us allowed it to take us in hopes it would spit us up on the shores of some place where heartache and pain don’t exist. With out the broken hearts though none of us would find the point we currently exist in, so maybe the benefits out way the risk. The Dani I am now would not exist with out the past relationships, no matter how rocky. Ultimately the relationship I happily reside in now would not exist with out my past. For me that makes the risk much less important. So I must depart now the undertow awaits to take me over.

The song in video form although the album version is much better

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqq5lFuifQ0&list=UUn-brDpVnLmPwp-rFbnfcTQ&index=40&feature=plcp

1 comment:

  1. Dani--I understand after hearing the song and reading your analysis on love that the fear of such a commitment can feel like an undertow. That point in a relationship where adoration gradually transcends into love is a truly beautiful, pure aspect of life. I cannot take any of such knowledge from experience, but what I do know of love is that the pain of it allows us as humans to have a larger capacity to love in the future. As backwards as that seems I go by that belief today. Also, I hope Claire reads your blogs... :)

    ReplyDelete