Monday, January 23, 2012

Devilish Technology?

It seems simple, no cell phone one hour. Then though it buzzes taunting me with the sound it makes reminding me I'm not paying attention to it. Yelling at me almost "Dani someone wants you, someone is trying to get your attention". Often times my phones on vibrate, (that way no one gets annoyed with the mass amount of texts I have and I still have the knowledge of if or when someone tries to get a hold of me) but on the rare occasion its not on vibrate, when I receive a text the beautiful annoying voice screams out of my phone in an British accent "Hello its your phone in your pocket I'm on vibrate buzzzz see buzz I'm vibrating because you got a text bzzzzzzzzzz read it then bzzzzzzzz" This ring tone to me sounds like what my phone would yell at me if it had a voice. I bought into it though. My phone vibrates and I hear it wondering, who? why are they texting? what do they need? maybe its urgent, what am I missing? The last question disturbs me the most. It shows the true mentality I live inm one in which my cell phone appears the vein of life. I worry when my phones not on me. If I'm not home my parents demand that my cell phone is on me, just in case. At what cost though? What am I sacrificing when I have my cell phone constantly on me, when I'm costly in conversation like that? The best conversations I've ever had, the most hart to heart honest conversations occurred when I ignored my phone. My family goes boating in the summer and skiboarding (everyone in my family skies except me, I'm a snowboarder) in the winter. When I'm all wet or when gloves cover my hands I can't text, I cannot answer my phone. These are the times I have seen the most beautiful scenes, the sun setting on a lake, or the breathtaking view form the top of a mountain. Experts say that texting causes a decrease in ability to write properly; I would say that’s a very important problem with overuse of cell phones. I think though the thing we risk the most by over using our cell phone- we could miss out. Miss out on breath taking views, heart to heart conversations, the quietness of nature, the simplicity of it all. I'm part of the technology generation full of instant information, quick conversations, and overuse of screens. I have sat through Original Oratory speeches one after another speaking on the danger of technology and detrimental it will prove to the human race. Technology proves incredibly helpful (especially for the dyslexic kid who can't spell) I am not saying down with technology. I just think sometimes I need to go on a walk through the woods and leave my phone on silent. I need to go hang out with my friends and ignore my phone; sometimes I just need an hour of simplicity.

1 comment:

  1. I find your insight on the dangers of cell phone usage very interesting. I wonder if we are missing out on what it means to be alone, for just simple moments of the day. When we constantly use our phones, we are connected to people almost all of the time. I use my cell phone while in line at a store, walking through the hallway, and even as I am trying to fall asleep. Before the invention of cell phones, people would be alone during all of these times.

    I believe technology is truly changing our psychology and we would all benefit from peace if we disconnected every once in a while, like you do.

    ReplyDelete